Sunday, October 4, 2009

Like a polite - but devestating - right cross

Finally, after 11 years of speculation, stories, pictures, and video, I got to see the Winthrop Gold course for myself. And as is usually the case, the reality didn't match up perfectly with my preconceived notions. Pretty close, but not exactly. Here are a couple things that surprised me a little:
  • Based on the online caddy book (course map), I expected more of the holes to be 'wooded'. In reality, almost the entire course is nice, mowed grass, and most of the trees you need to play through have high canopies that make it so you're just dealing with the trunks.
  • On the other side of the coin, the OB on most of the holes increases the degree of difficulty much more than I thought it would. In some spots, my feeble arm forces me to advance my disc 200 feet or less (when I need much more) to ensure I don't stray across an OB line.
By way of analogy, I can compare Winthrop Gold to a heavyweight boxer that uncharacteristically doesn't look, sound, or act imposing. So you go into the fight thinking you've got a shot, that maybe you won't get as seriously mauled as your opponent's 52-0 record with 45 knockouts would indicate. Then the bell rings and you get hit with that first devastating - but polite - right cross. That's the first impression I got from Winthrop Gold. Now, the question is, will this insight help me at all?

No comments: