Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The day before

As I type, it's Tuesday night in Rock Hill and I just returned from the players' welcome banquet. If I didn't already have the sense that this is a special event, I do now. It feels pretty cool to be a part of it, and I'm surprised how many people I've met over the years that still remember me, despite the fact that my touring days days are mostly in the past.

Most notable from the meeting were a couple slight rule changes just for this tournament. For one, there is a bolder statement about displaying balance after a putt from 10 meters and in. At the USDGC this year, you need to demonstrate balance on BOTH FEET before advancing. Also, there are no warnings for falling putts. Instead, on the first instance the player has to re-throw, and take the worst of the two throws. After that, he/she incurs a stroke penalty, must re-throw, and then take the result of the re-throw.

I also liked Harold Duvall's phrasing when he addressed the issue of calling penalties: "If you're sure, always call it, and if you're not sure, never call it." I agree 100 percent.

On a (to me) comical note, I met a guy with the last name 'Bachman,' and it instantly occurred to me that his name lends itself to the best disc golf name-pun ever. It can take several forms, but if I was in his group and he turned over his drive, I'd say 'Bachman turned over his drive,' or call him the 'Bachman drive turner-over.' He got the joke right away, but said he'd never heard it before. I guess that, where he's from - Utah - they're not big BTO fans.

No comments: