Friday, June 5, 2009

Masters Cupp 2009: Three Weeks Later

I didn't bother to blog after my third and final Masters Cup round, because- let's face it . . . who wants to write about how they saved their suckiest for last? The tournament itself was epic, however, and as a major contributor to the volunteer effort I found that rewarding even if my own performance was not.

After shooting +4 the first round and +2 the second round on the ultra-tough layout, I was tied for 8th out of 38 players. I figured a decent round on Sunday would help me climb a few notches, and that even third or fourth was within reach. Instead, my drives continued to be just a bit off-target, which at DeLa in the long layout usually means trouble. But being the optimist that I am, I have to say that simply by sticking to my gameplan I managed to grab the last cash spot in an NT event without being 'On' even once for the whole 84 holes. Consider these stats: Only four birdies, but no missed putts inside 30 feet, no double bogies or worse, and no mental errors where I decided to go for something with low odds. Basically, I was playing for par on everything, hoping to take the birdies when they presented themselves (which unfortunately was not often). I ended up with a +8 on the final day, dropped to 14th place, and didn't feel much like writing about it until today. So let's get to the good part!

This year's Masters Cup was one of the best. We had a handful of aces when most years there aren't any, including TWO in the lead group on the final day. Even though Nate Doss didn't win again, he was right there until the end, and the winner, Greg Barsby, is another NorCal homeboy that's been playing tourneys since he was a kid. Marty Hapner won the very tough Grandmasters division with a score that beat most of the Masters. The weather was as perfect as it was foul for the Am weekend, and the whole vibe just seemed in tune all three days. Plus, I get to play DeLa all year long. The Masters Cup is more like that thing I do once a year. But I'm sure I'd be writing something different if that third round was a -2 instead of a +8!

No comments: