Sunday, October 4, 2009

Winthrop is Golden

This morning I finally got to see the course for myself, and this afternoon I finally got to play it. And it wasn't until playing it myself that I was able to fully appreciate it. This course really is the result of some great course design.

Winthrop Gold is known to be long and exacting, with its "10,000 feet of OB." But after playing all 18 holes, I'm happy to say that a player who can barely throw 350 feet could break par here. Can break par here.

I'm not saying it's easy, no, no-o-o-o-o-o. Even though the terrain is mostly manicured grassy, many of the holes have just enough slope to complicate shot choices. OB lines don't just run more or less parallel to the left and right of the hole. Often, they are used to define a hole, transforming a wide-open area into a vicious, narrow, 90 degree dogleg right (hole 10). And don't even get me started on the the bunkr! However, this course is quite fair.

Using myself as a good yardmark to prove (or disprove) the bold assertion above (about weenie-arms being able to break par at Winthrop Gold) I'd have to say that only holes 5 ( a 1000-foot par 5 with a large stretch of water to cross at the end of the hole) and 13 (the famous '888' hole) are tough to par mostly because of length. On the rest of the holes, if you can throw a 250-foot upshot close enough to get up-and-down - and if you have the discipline to throw to spots rather than follow the instinct to huck it as hard as possible on a 900-foot hole - you can break par. I'm telling you, you can.

Now, all that being said, practice is different than tournament play and it's always easier said than done when it comes to doing the logical thing in golf. But still, it's a great course and great tournament that requires precision shots, consistent putting AND 500-foot drive potential to win, yet requires only the first two to break par and finish in the cash.

No comments: